Due to the high competition online nowadays, it is essential to outperform others. If your business is on the internet, it is vital to maintain a website with lightning speed loading time and a highly optimized performance graph. Believe it or not, much of these depend on the choice you make in selecting the host provider company or the plans under their subscription. It can make or break your business.
Why is it important to have good page speed and performance?
Page speed can be defined as the measurement of how fast or slow the content of your page loads. It is the time taken to load all the texts, pictures, and other multimedia features to load and become usable on your page. A website’s performance is highly dependent on its page speed. Research suggests that 40% of people would not visit your site if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. The customer would switch to a website that would offer a better customer experience. Not only that, a page load speed determines your SEO rankings as well. Google’s algorithm also keeps track of the website’s downtime and loading speed to show relevant results.
Why web hosting matters?
The choice of web hosting provider or the plans you subscribe to has a big role to play in your website’s performance and speed, and ultimately in your business. While choosing a plan, you should keep in mind certain factors, which could help you optimize your website’s performance:
- Hosting Type– The new entrants usually pick a shared hosting plan as it is a more cost-effective option. It can be useful initially, but as traffic increases, you would need a dedicated server to meet your business needs. Renting out a complete physical server to yourself may be pricey, so a better option would be to go for a VPS Hosting which provides much of the features of a dedicated server at a reasonable price.
- Hard drive– A solid-state drive (SSD) provides faster storage and have lower latency than HDDs, which makes it a better option over a traditional hard drive. The SSD can read data directly from a specific flash SSD cell location which makes the whole operation very fast.
- Resources– Having more RAM or bandwidth could always expedite the load time and give a major boost to your website’s performance.
- Local resources– Having essential resources and databases on the same web server can speed-up the load time rather than having to look for it on a different server.
- Uptime– Chose a company which provides at least 99% uptime. Frequent downtime can not only damage your website’s reputation but disturb the site’s SEO rankings.
With so many options to choose from, not knowing a few details may leave you confusing. It is very important to select a good host provider company as well as a good plan, or it may leave you frustrated in the future. You have to choose between various hosting types that are available like Shared, VPS, etc. based on your requirements. If you have low traffic, then shared hosting is a very good option but in case of high and variable traffic, VPS Hosting plans can do the trick. Choose wisely.